Abilene Preservation League
Executive Director Job Description
For a link to the application form read the entire job description and scroll down to the bottom of the page.
The Abilene Preservation League (APL) is a nonprofit membership organization incorporated in 1977. APLs Mission Statement is to preserve historic buildings and promote historic preservation. The Vision Statement is to provide the leadership, education, and imagination to inspire a common vision of preserving the places and stories of our shared heritage to enrich the lives of future West Texans.
With a record of preserving the Paramount Theatre, Swenson House, The Grace Museum, Elks Arts Center and many other properties, the APL is known as the voice of historic preservation in the Abilene area. APL maintains membership in the statewide Preservation Texas and is a Partner of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. APL works closely with the City of Abilenes Office of Neighborhood Services and Historic Preservation Officer in helping guide and implement provisions in the citys historic preservation ordinances.
Summary of Position:
Administers and directs all program, financial, public relations, fundraising, and personnel activities for the organization and is responsible for the effective leadership and administration of the affairs of the Abilene Preservation League.
Goal of Position:
The goal of this position is to provide a solid foundation for the organization in funding, public awareness and development.
Reports to: APL President, Executive Committee and Board of Trustees
Directs: All APL employees and contract workers
Other: Interacts with board members and officers, members, national affiliations, corporations, donors, contracting agencies and the general public.
- Provides support to Executive Committee and Board of Directors with guidance in appropriate areas related to the APLs mission, purpose, goals, and actions.
- Coordinates and supports implementation of APL programs, projects, activities, events, and public relations.
- Coordinates support and staff services for APL programs and events.
- Assists Executive Committee and other committees in developing the annual budget; prepares or oversees preparation of monthly financial statements; uses financial management software for tracking and reporting; assists in APL audits.
- Provides oversight of buildings and property of the APL. Facilitates rental for events, including sales, marketing, coordination of day-of-event activities, collections, and ensures administration according to organization policies.
- Coordinates and attends meetings of Executive Committee and the Board; attends Committee meetings as requested.
- Performs other duties as directed by the President and/or Executive Committee.
Budget and Organizational Planning:
- Helps develop and implements the strategic plan.
Proposes budget to executive committee for review.
Financial Planning and Funding Development:
- Assists board in creating a fund development plan and provides board with tools, training, materials and support as needed to develop funding relationships.
- Sends out renewal notices in order to maintain and grow membership. Solicits new members. Develops and organizes fundraising actions and events; supports APL fundraising activities and committees, coordinates logistics for fundraising events. Maintains data on donors/sponsors/partners. Ensures that all donors, sponsors and partners are properly recognized.
- Maintains current information on available funding sources including grants develops and submits applications as appropriate, and administers resulting programs as directed.
- Establishes and maintains communication with appropriate national, state, and local organizations as requested/appropriate.
- Prepares APL statements, letters, position papers and public presentations in coordination with the President, Executive Committee, Board and the APL mission; coordinates public presentations with the President and/or the Executive Committee.
- Communicates/coordinates with accounting, legal, insurance and other professionals on behalf of the APL.
- Implements, supervises and coordinates employment, evaluation and termination of APL staff in consultation with the President and Executive Committee.
- Adheres to employment policies of the League in accordance with APL Employment Policy Guide and ensures compliance by other APL employees/staff.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of: business and other operations of non-profit organizations; familiarity with historic preservation practices including the Secretary of the Interiors Standards; supervisory techniques; fundraising, state and federal laws relevant to Abilene Preservation League and budgeting techniques.
- Skill/Ability to: Operate a personal computer using standard word processing and spreadsheet software; ability to do a mail merge using MS Excel and Word software; familiarity with social media applications and Web site maintenance. Demonstrated proficiency in both oral and written communication, including public speaking; lift and maneuver 40 pound items; exercise sound judgment in making administrative decisions involving staff and service activities; establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, private businesses and the general public.
Preferred Experience and Abilities:
- Bachelors degree plus five years of experience.
- or a combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
The Successful Candidate Will:
- Have a sense of entrepreneurship and be a self-starter
- Be diplomatic and a skilled communicator, in both oral and written communications
- Have an appreciation and understanding of community involvement
- Be success-oriented and a motivator/collaborator in a team environment
- Be personable, positive, persevering and patient.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Abilene Preservation League
P.O. Box 3451
Abilene, Texas 79604
A Preservation Partner of:
National Trust for Historic Preservation
Texas Historical Commission
For paper submissions, print the following:
1. Cover Letter
3. Completed application form
and mail to APL, PO Box 3451, Abilene, TX 79604